- Cannot knowingly or willingly participate in the crime.
- Cannot share responsibility for the crime.
- Cannot be the offender or an accomplice.
- Cannot be an inmate when the crime occurs.
- Must cooperate fully with the law enforcement and prosecution of the case.
Reporting the crime
- The victim must have reported the crime to a law enforcement agency within a reasonable period of time that does not impede the investigation and prosecution of the case.
Filing the application
- The victim or claimant must file the claim within 3 years of the date of the crime if the crime occurred after September 1, 1997. Before September 1, 1997 they have 1 year from the date of the crime to file.
- Child victims filing an application have until their 21st birthday to make the claim.